Plastic-Elimination Campaign: Spice Rack


Not being a gourmet cook like my eleven-year-old, I tend to buy basic spices that come in large 99-cent jars from the dollar store. But of course I can't stand having the jars on my counter. So some time ago I started collecting empty Trader Joe's balsalmic vinegar jars. I love the shape and the cork stoppers. I find they're wonderful for spices: the narrow neck takes the place of a shaker top. I do have a set of shakers for smaller spices I picked up at a flea market. I have them arranged on an IKEA shelf that has been with us since the early days of our marriage. Someday, I will get custom made labels for my spices from one of those custom-made label places, but for now I'm happy with a permanent marker, even though it does wipe off.

Comments

Kimberlee said…
Here is a template for labels you can customize and print yourself on those blank sticker sheets. Cute jar collection! http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/3/e/73e15c94-2914-4f5b-a6b3-87066cced305/spicejarslong.doc
regina doman said…
Wow, thanks so much Kimberly! Maybe I'll do it this summer! :)
Elizabeth said…
Gotta love IKEA, and recycling!
I was blessed to receive an adorable spice rack that has a door and hides all the lousy looking plastic spice jars! The door is decorated with Pa Dutch designs and has tons of info on the uses of spices...it's really cute. I'll have to post photos on my blog of all the cute things my friend V gave me when she downsized. She even gave me her grandfather's wall mounted coffee grinder...which I use daily!
Blessings, E

Popular posts from this blog

Clothing Organization part 3: Detachment and Appreciation

What I do with Old Scapulars